Here are some handy tips to keep in mind before you start painting. Following them will help you achieve the best results.
Before you start
- Check the surfaces to determine any defects that exist and the tools necessary to fix them.
- Determine what types of finishes have been previously used on the surface to help you select the correct primer, sealer, undercoat or topcoat required.
- Clear out the room/area as much as possible to ensure easy accessibility to the surface.
- Remove any pictures, nails, hooks, curtains, rods, light fittings, door handles and other items that are attached to or near the surface.
- Arrange all your bulky furniture in the centre of the room and cover it up with a drop cloth.
- Mask all skirting boards, especially if stained or varnished to protect against paint spots.
Preparing previously painted exterior surfaces
- Wash with high pressure to remove all dirt, dust, grease and grime.
- Ensure surface is clean, dry and free from any contamination.
- Fill up any holes and cracks with a suitable exterior filler and then sand smooth.
Preparing Unpainted Surfaces
New Interior Walls
- Allow the plaster to cure/set for at least 1 month in summer and 3 months in winter.
- Conduct a Tape Test by applying masking tape firmly to the plaster surface and then quickly pull it off.
Exterior Clay Bricks
- Remove any loose particles by dry brushing the surface.
- Fill any holes and cracks with a suitable filler.
- Wash the surface if necessary with a solution of water and household detergent.
- Rinse with water and allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Apply Deluxe Coatings Super Seal. Leave for 24 hours and then apply a second coat.
- Ensure joints are smooth and surface is dust free.
- Apply Deluxe Coatings Acrylic Undercoat to seal the surface.
- Remove any dirt and grease from the surface.
- Fill all the edges or get them fitted with an edge strip.
- Make sure all holes are filled before sanding.
- Seal the surface with Deluxe Coatings Acrylic Undercoat before painting.
- Do not use oil based undercoats on fibre boards.
- Remove all dust and dirt from the surface.
- Sand smooth the surface before you start painting. Timber should be sanded along the grain to prevent any fibres being raised.
- Use Deluxe Coatings Acrylic Undercoat or Deluxe Coatings Super Seal to seal the surface.
- All edges should be slightly rounded by sanding or scraping.
- Any soft material on the surface should be scraped clean.
- If the timber has been exposed, damaged, has cracks or holes, then it should be filled up with Builders Filler (2 pack) and re-sanded.
- All sanding should be carried out with the grain.
- Wash or dust off as necessary prior to painting.
- Concrete should be allowed to dry for at least 12 weeks before painting. If any wetness remains, the moisture can cause blistering or peeling of the coatings later on.
- Fill all unwanted holes in the surface with suitable filler.
- If needed, wash surface with a solution of Water (2 to 18 litres) and Hydrochloric Acid. This will help achieve a clean etched surface before painting.
- Surfaces must be cured and allowed to dry before painting. At least 6 weeks for oil based paints and 4 weeks for acrylic paints.
- If any mould has formed, treat it with a solution of Deluxe Coatings Fungicide and water (2 to 18 litres).
Galvanised Steel and Zincalume
- New metal should be thoroughly de-greased by wiping with a de-greaser and rinsing the surface thoroughly.
- Structural galvanised steel (pipes, beams, hand rails etc) must be thoroughly abraded by sanding or grinding to remove any chemical treatments from the surface and ensure adhesion of coatings.
- Use Deluxe Coatings Acrylic Undercoat to prime the surface, then you can apply Deluxe Coatings Gloss Acrylic or Deluxe Coatings Gloss Enamel.